Food & Lifestyle

Thursday 10 April 2014

Bye Bye SAD and Hello Sunshine


Do you sometimes wonder why you feel so happy and energetic when the sun is shining?? I do!! I have always been one to enjoy Spring and Summer, my favourite seasons. The sun makes me feel so alive..I sound stupid don't I?! Well it turns out that this is a very common condition, that's right...Condition! 



SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is a form of depression that is triggered by seasonal changes. I haven't been officially diagnosed with this condition but I do believe I have suffered from the minor symptoms and was amazed when I found out it can affect peoples lives serverely. If I was a nature talent fairy from the Tinkerbell Movies I would so be a Light Fairy ( all you mummies know what I'm talking about :)) I love the sun shine and light spaces. I don't worship the sun as I hate sunbathing but I love being out and about in the sun whether it's going for walk or having my windows wide open in the afternoons, I get this surge of energy and contentment which makes my mood switch to a happy and positive me!



It is normal for people to experience a happier and energetic version of themselves in the summer and feel sleepy and tend to binge eat more in the winter. SAD, however, is diagnosed when the seasons effect your mood and energy levels affecting your everyday life. I found my symptoms in the winter included:
#Sleep problems
# Feeling down
#Anxiety 
# Mood swings
# Prone to illness (always catching something!) 

There are so many symptoms and these can be quite severe compared to others and the majority of people brush them aside disregarding them completely. 

I have found that as the days have become longer with the beautiful brighter early evenings, I have become a happier me (no, I'm not a miserable so and so in the winter, I just don't like cold and wet!) but my main love for summer and what makes me joyful is that my skin looks and feels healthier. I have awful skin in the winter months, it looks dull and is prone to lots of blemishes and marks, which knocks my confidence a lot. Yes, exposing your skin to the sun has it's positive effects too! Sunlight causes our skin to produce Vitamin D, even when wearing sun protection. Vitamin D works on all our bodys cells allowing our organs to convert this vitamin into a hormone called Calcitriol. This hormone helps repair damages in our body, for example scarring, tissue, cancer cells and tumours. Just remember to wear sun protection and no less than an SPF 15! So take advantage of the sunshine while we've got it, it will make you your happier self and give you great looking skin. 

Do you suffer from symptoms of SAD or have been diagnosed? Do you suffer with bad skin in the winter? I would love to know how you cope and your beauty secrets! Thank you for reading :) 


Love & Light

SHARE:

2 comments

Thank you for reading, please leave your comments for me to read and I'll get back to you ♥

Blogger Template Created by pipdig