Food & Lifestyle

Thursday 17 November 2016

Homemade Vegetable Soup




Growing up I loved my Mother's winter soups. Autumn/ Winter is my Mums favourite time of the year and it really reflected in her cooking as she would make completely different meals for me and my sisters. She would cook stews, different types of soups and Turkish soups and more comfort food style meals served with warm breads and rice.

I thank my mum for my love of cooking and baking and I've taken what I've learnt from her and now cook lovely home cooked meals for my little babies. 

This recipe is based on the style of homemade soups my mum makes and as my Mum cooks in the traditional Turkish style of just "throwing it all in" there is no step by step recipe so I have made my own soup recipe based on the taste of my mums. 

I made this soup in a large pot and what we didn't eat I cooled and stored in the fridge for the next day, which can be reheated in the microwave or stove by just adding a little hot boiling water to loosen and enjoyed again. 

Here is a great warming vegetable soup perfect for these cold months ahead for the whole family...

INGREDIENTS

(Serves 5-6 people)

1 tsp Olive Oil
1 Nest of Vermicelli, broken up
3 small Potatoes, washed peeled & diced
2 small Carrots, peeled and sliced
3-4 large handfuls of washed Spinach, sliced
2 handfuls of Rice (Long Grain or Basmati), washed
2 tsp of vegetable stock powder or low salt chicken stock cube
1 Litre of Water
Half a Lemon Juice
Black pepper to season

METHOD

In a large pot with a lid add the olive oil before placing over a medium heat

Break up the vermicelli and lightly fry until turns white in colour (don't let this burn, it cooks very quickly) Add the rice and lightly fry for a couple of minutes

Add the potatoes, carrots and spinach and mix together

Add in the water and add the powder or break up the stock cube, stir well

Bring to a boil and then simmer, add the lemon juice, season with a little black pepper to taste and cover

Simmer for about an hour or until the vegetables are soft has become a soup like consistency
(stir occasionally and you can add water if you need too)

Serve hot with some fresh warm bread or some sliced toast and butter.. Enjoy!

If you love Instagram and food posts, check out my daily posts of meals for me and my babies.. 


Love & Light



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, please leave your comments for me to read and I'll get back to you ♥

Blogger Template Created by pipdig