Food & Lifestyle

Thursday 25 May 2017

Lahmacun | Turkish Pizza


Lahmacun is a round shaped flatbread-style pizza with spicy lamb or beef mince which is a traditional meal enjoyed in Turkey, North Cyprus and Turkish communities around the world, served with fresh lemon and salad which is rolled up and enjoyed.

As a child I would always love a good helping of these and they remind me of all the summers I spent as a child in Cyprus. If I go to a Turkish restaurant and these are on the menu then I will order a batch just for me. I can sit and eat my own body weight in these beauties!

Like I do, I decided that I wanted to try my own recipe of Lahmacun at home and I will be honest, they don't taste as good as the ones made in a traditional turkish clay oven.. my Electrolux oven just doesn't cut it! But they are very tasty and a very enjoyable meal to share with the whole family.

So here is my homemade Lahmacun recipe...


Cooking Time/Waiting Time: 2- 2 1/2 hours  


INGREDIENTS

(Makes around 4 large or 8 small)

DOUGH

7g Active Yeast (sachet)
300g Plain Flour
1 Large Egg
80ml Olive Oil
1tsp Castor Sugar
A few pinches of Salt

MEAT

400g Minced Lamb
60ml Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1tbsp Tomato Purée
1tsp Ground Cumin
1tsp Paprika
1tsp Sumac
1/2 tsp dried Chilli Flakes
2 handfuls of flat-leafed parsley, finely chopped
1/2 lemon, juice
A few pinches of Ground Black Pepper


METHOD

For the dough

In a bowl add the flour, sugar and salt

In another bowl add the olive oil and egg, lightly whisk

Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and add the oil and egg mixture and fold in using a metal spoon

Using your hand knead the mixture into a dough and cover with a tea towel and set aside somewhere warm for at least an hour for the dough to rise

For the meat 

Preheat fan oven to 200 degrees and line a few baking trays with baking paper (you may have to bake in batches)

In a medium frying pan add a little olive oil and fry the garlic for a couple of minutes and add the mince and cook until brown

Add the sieved tinned tomatoes (so there is little tomato juice)

Add the tomato paste, paprika, chilli flakes, sumac and cumin and season with a little salt and pepper

Cook for around 5 minutes and then set aside to cool

For the dough

On a clean worktop roll out your dough (like you would a medium or small pizza, which ever size you would like them)

Brush the edges of your round doughs with a little olive oil

Spread the meat mixture over the dough and place onto a baking tray and bake for about 15-20 minutes (keep an eye on them as every oven is different and can cook quicker or slower)

During baking in batches, use a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm. You can eat them like a pizza or like a wrap filled with homemade Cacik, Hummus, fresh flat-leafed Parsley and your choice of salad, don't forget to squeeze some fresh lemon on before you eat too, this helps to release an amazing flavour.


If you would like to see a recipe for homemade Cacik/Tzatziki let me know!

Enjoy!


Love & Light


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, please leave your comments for me to read and I'll get back to you ♥

Blogger Template Created by pipdig